Re: Scope of W3C recommendations; core issue for polyglot & DRM

> I think either you replied to the wrong email or I'm missing the point
> you're trying to make. All I was trying to say is that ideas designed
> for closed environments might not end up working that well in open
> environments. And sometimes as seen e.g. with WML, XHTML Basic, etc.
> closed environments are just washed away.

Possibly, and if so I apologize. I confess that I've only found the time to
read selected posts, but it seemed to me that Larry's note and various
notes including yours together raised the questions: "is it appropriate for
the TAG to devote energy to W3C technologies that would only see
significant use in closed environments", and and if that's so, "is XML such
a technology"?  I was responding to the 2nd point: I believe that XML is an
example of a technology that does remain widely used on the open Web as
well as in more closed environments, and for which there are significant
synergies.

Although I quoted a section of your note that seemed to make the case that
the same technologies tend not to be useful in both settings, responding to
you in particular was not my intent. Sorry for any confusion on that.

Noah