Highlighting issue of XML support in DOM 4 (was: TAG Decision .....develop a polyglot guide)

I know you've all seen the long thread on polyglot. At the risk of adding
further noise, I'm highlighting this note specifically to www-tag because
it raises a significant issue that I don't think was discussed when we did
our XML/HTML integration report. Quoting Daniel from the note below:

> Guys, I tried to make BlueGriffon output polyglot html5 for future
> 1.7 and I am hitting a serious issue: I am unable to do it for one
> single reason... Rendering engines are removing support for
> Document.xmlVersion, Document.xmlStandalone and Document.xmlEncoding
> that are deprecated in DOM 4. I have then *no way at all* of
> knowing if a document was parsed with an XML declaration or not
> from script, using the DOM.

Regardless of your position on polyglot and XML, the DOM 4 decision does
seem significant, and I had not been aware of it. Worth any TAG discussion?
Does it affect our recommendation on polyglot? Should we push on the DOM WG
to change?

Thank you.

Noah

Guys, I tried to make BlueGriffon output polyglot html5 for future
1.7 and I am hitting a serious issue: I am unable to do it for one
single reason... Rendering engines are removing support for
Document.xmlVersion, Document.xmlStandalone and Document.xmlEncoding
that are deprecated in DOM 4. I have then *no way at all* of
knowing if a document was parsed with an XML declaration or not
from script, using the DOM.
The XML declaration is not reachable as a PI in the OM. Since an
editor like mine can edit all flavors of html, it still needs to
output the xml declaration for xhtml and for html5 if the polyglot
option is not chosen.

Because of that deprecation in DOM 4 (already removed in mozilla
central), Polyglot HTML5 is totally impossible to implement in an
application that is not Polyglot-HTML5 only... I guess this is an
architectural issue for the TAG, right?

</Daniel>