Re: Polyglot markup and authors

From: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:06:01 +0000
To: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
On Feb 17, 2013 3:17 PM, "Mukul Gandhi" <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
wrote:

>> How would it have helped? Did you control the source of the document?
Could you in some way guarantee well-formedness from the publisher?

> For the application I was working with, I had no control on the source of
document since it was produced by a legacy process. I cannot guarantee
well-formedness from the publisher.

>> Polyglot only helps those who know  or control the parseability of the
documents they process.

> I agree.
>
> But I do feel, having a polyglot document structure improves
interoperability of information represented by them. As I thought in my
previous mail within this thread, I think the following processing would
help HTML/XHTML/XML users,

How?

> legacy HTML -> polyglot converter -> polyglot markup
>
> This functionality can be present outside the browser environment, or/and
within the browser.

You may be confused. A "polyglot converter" is simply an html-to-xml (or
back) conversion. Many tools enable this today. The term "polyglot", in
this discussion, refers to a property of documents, not their processing
pipelines. Exporting to a polyglot subset might be a feature of these
tools, but would not appear to have aided you in the problem you initially
described.