Re: talking about WebIDL

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
> Does the TAG want to take up this issue, to look at WebIDL?

I don't know about the TAG, but it seems pretty clear that getting
proper coordination on the global object is quite important for the
[architecture of the] Web, and if Doug is bringing this to your
attention, then there must be some pretty serious dysfunction.

But it's odd that there isn't adequate coordination already, given
that any decision by either group is intended to affect all the same
implementation efforts. Quoth
http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/TC39-M.htm :
"The ECMAScript™ specification has been developed by Ecma TC39 whose
membership includes all major browser vendors."

I see that something like this has come up before:

  https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-September/009844.html
    (and preceding and following messages in thread)

Also I thought we had an informal email list devoted to coordination:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/

Obviously the built-in Javascript namespaces (especially methods on
the global object) ought to be among the use cases in our various
'namespaces and registries' discussions.

I believe there *are* formal liaisons on both sides. According to
http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison, W3C's liaison to Ecma is Daniel
Dardailler.

Jonathan