Re: talking about WebIDL

[+douglas]

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
> wrote:
> > Does the TAG want to take up this issue, to look at WebIDL?
>
> I don't know about the TAG, but it seems pretty clear that getting
> proper coordination on the global object is quite important for the
> [architecture of the] Web, and if Doug is bringing this to your
> attention, then there must be some pretty serious dysfunction.
>
> But it's odd that there isn't adequate coordination already, given
> that any decision by either group is intended to affect all the same
> implementation efforts. Quoth
> http://www.ecma-international.org/memento/TC39-M.htm :
> "The ECMAScript™ specification has been developed by Ecma TC39 whose
> membership includes all major browser vendors."
>
> I see that something like this has come up before:
>
>   https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2009-September/009844.html
>     (and preceding and following messages in thread)
>
> Also I thought we had an informal email list devoted to coordination:
>
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/
>
> Obviously the built-in Javascript namespaces (especially methods on
> the global object) ought to be among the use cases in our various
> 'namespaces and registries' discussions.
>
> I believe there *are* formal liaisons on both sides. According to
> http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison, W3C's liaison to Ecma is Daniel
> Dardailler.

Interesting that I have attended virtually every TC39 mtg for the last five
years or so and AFAIK this is the first time I've heard that name.

I notice that <
http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/advanced_search?keywords=&hdr-1-name=subject&hdr-1-query=&hdr-2-name=from&hdr-2-query=Dardailler&hdr-3-name=message-id&hdr-3-query=&period_month=&period_year=&index-grp=Public__FULL&index-type=t&type-index=public-script-coord&resultsperpage=20&sortby=date>
produces no results.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM