Re: Precision and error handling (was URL work in HTML 5)

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:33:20 -0600
To: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Cc: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>, www-tag@w3.org
"Eric J. Bowman" wrote:

> just trying to understand why everyone says I'm doing it wrong, by
> not using a library that doesn't do what I want in the first place.

Well, not *everyone*, just the HTML 5 crowd.  Some folks like how I
code websites, as they're very easy to upgrade/restyle later, being a
simple matter of editing an .xsl file or two.  Why re-architect a site
whose content and linking remain the same, just to change how it looks/
works?  I guess I could use PHP/smarty instead of XSLT, but those don't
run in the browser, whereas XSLT allows all template markup to be
cached at the client, providing a dramatic boost to user-perceived
performance.  From where I sit, using XSLT in such fashion amounts to
"doing it right" as it results in less work, faster sites, and happier
clients.

-Eric