Re: An example of cross-jurisdictional complexity relating to copyright

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:06:12 -0400
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>

Le 11 juil. 2012 à 23:36, Noah Mendelsohn a écrit :
> During recent discussions of TAG work on copyright and linking, I encouraged the TAG to be watchful for complexities that result from the fact that Web connects users and providers in more than one legal jurisdiction.

Another example.
Copyright law in Canada makes public domain any publications 50 years after the death of the author. In many countries it is 70 years. L'Université du Québec à Chicoutimi (UQAC) in Québec, Canada is hosting texts from French authors [1].

Gallimard, the publisher of Camus in France, has contacted [3] UQAC for them to  remove the Camus texts [2], but it is public domain in Canada. Instead the university decided to block the IP addresses coming from France to avoid any future troubles. That said, it is easily bypassed through proxies.

[1]: http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/index.php
[2]: http://classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/camus_albert/camus_albert.html
[3]: http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/livre/l-oeuvre-d-albert-camus-inaccessible-aux-internautes-francais_957713.html

--