Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:33:33 +0900
To: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

On 2012/01/20 2:22, Eric J. Bowman wrote:
> Robin Berjon wrote:
>>
>> How is the web platform expected to be viable if it cannot perform
>> some tasks that are trivial for installed applications? In what way
>> is this API a protocol-layer solution?
>>

> More correctly, then, it's a wholesale change to the Web architecture
> for no reason other than "because webmail" when a browser config hasn't
> even been tried.

Browser configurations already exist. Please check your browser. But you
may have to dig quite a bit.

> If there were some empirical evidence to point to
> showing that everyone's a numbnut who can't figure this out, different
> story, but assuming that will fail before it's been tried is putting the
> cart before the horse (greenfield solutions are the opposite of what
> standardization is about).
>
> All developers need is markup to declare the intent "this is an e-mail
> address" which is solved by mailto: URIs.  Why on Earth would I want to
> make it some sort of interactive API which expresses "this is the same
> damn e-mail address for Gmail, this is the same damn e-mail address for
> Yahoo, this is the same damn e-mail address for standalone clients"
> etc. when all I need is to declare "this is an e-mail address" which
> is STILL the only real intent -- declaring an e-mail addy to be an e-
> mail addy.

It seems several others had the same impression, but this is wrong.
There is absolutely no need for you to change any single "mailto:"
URI/IRI on any single Web page you ever wrote.

Regards,    Martin.