RE: ACTION-350: Best practice for referring to specifications which may update

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:35:28 -0800
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Thanks for the background; I keep on coming up with places where the almost decade-old QA documents have really hashed out issues that we're reinventing.

Given there's already a W3C recommendation covering this particular use case, I'd vote for updating and republishing the QA framework rather than trying to issue a new finding in this area.

http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/#ref-define-practice

The discussion so far has been useful and perhaps we can capture it so far in.

http://www.w3.org/wiki/NormativeReferences

I like Jonathan's analysis as well.