Re: Final draft of response to Jeff Jaffe on issue identified by the TAG

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:36:15 -0500
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Dan Appelquist <dan@bluevia.com>

On another list, Robin and I were discussing developer tools for native
mobile apps. He asked:

On 2/9/2012 5:25 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> You mean IDEs and things that make Java developers happy? Or other types
> of tools?

Well, those among others. As far as I know, iPhone developers make at least
moderately frequent use of the WYSIWYG layout in XCode. Last I checked a
few years ago, Microsoft was pushing not just Visual C# for developer
types, but also Expression Blend for designers, and I assume all those
apply for Winphone. Tools like that let you do in drag n drop some of the
things rails developers do in code. E.g. drag a list or table control into
your app, point it at some data source, and have the control do at least
some self-configuration, etc. My impression is that this stuff is used by
app developers who may not necessarily be heavy duty Java (or
C++/C#/Objective-C) coders. Certainly the Flex tooling, though not as
directly applicable to mobile in most cases, is/was seen by many as
attractive when compared to the tooling available for HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

Noah