trust models and AWWW (was Re: FYI, tag election links)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:59:43 -0800
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, "ashok.malhotra@oracle.com" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Melvin,

While the TAG might resist picking winners and losers in an unclear technology battle as a short-term strategy, I think AWWW suffers because it assumes trust too many places.

For updating the AWWW we have, I've been thinking somewhat the opposite: that we need at least a model and a framework for talking about trust, and to encompass the different ways in which trust affects architecture.

> I think what's key is that the AWWW resist pressures to pick winners and losers in trust.

Why is this 'key'?

> There should be a loose coupling between the trust system employed and web.

There should be a coupling. Why loose?

  When trust systems get closely coupled to an architecture, it is potentially problematic.

Everything is potentially problematic, why this one in particular?

> IMHO it should even be possible to use an 'honor system'.

An honor system is a kind of simple trust model. Why not?