Re: FYI, tag election links

As a former member of the TAG and a working web developer, I would like
to comment on the content of all the blog posts and the general trend
towards reform.

TAG work has not historically consisted only of satisfying the needs of
web developers. Admittedly, the TAG could certainly do more of relevance
to web developers, but there are architectural issues that impact, and
are impacted by other broader constituencies.

For example, I believe that there has been a tremendous shift from
"declarative" to "imperative" with the transition to Javascript APIs
defining the web platform, and specifications that rely on algorithms
rather than defining a set of invariants.

These are rather historic shifts (in the Web's short history) and have
impact far beyond my technical description. And web architecture as
documented in AWWW has been proven to scale rather well, and support a
particular kind of innovation that has spawned remarkable economic growth.

I can't say that I felt I was myself a "worthy guardian" of the Web as a
member of the TAG, but I did get a very tangible sense that there was
something of value that members of the TAG have helped build - something
that goes beyond particular current or historical trends in web
development. I hope that in the rush to reform and to meet the very real
needs of web developers, the TAG doesn't throw the baby out with the
bathwater.

JohnK