Re: Fragment Identifiers and Agent Perspectives

Noah Mendelsohn writes:

> On 10/7/2011 7:11 PM, ashok malhotra wrote:
>> Currently, the specs say "fragment identifier semantics are defined by the
>> media type".
>> We should amend this to say "fragment identifier semantics are defined by
>> the media type and
>> the kind of agent that is making use of the markup".
>
> I understand the proposal, but I'm not convinced it's good
> architecture. Webarch [1] distinguishes direct and indirect
> identification, making clear that a given URI should be a first class
> identifier for at most one resource. If the same URI is to be used to
> identify something else as well, then the identification is viewed as
> indirect.

I'm glad you get all that from [1], but I sure don't.  How is a
_server_ supposed to know whether the identification is primary or
secondary?  What does this mean:

  "Globally adopted assignment policies make some URIs appealing as
   general-purpose identifiers. Local policy establishes what they
   indirectly identify."

Global wrt what?  Local wrt what?  Why _isn't_ what has been suggested
a case of specifying how indirect identification might work?

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#indirect-identification
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk