Re: Fragment Identifiers and Agent Perspectives

On Oct 8, 2011, at 9:55 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:
>> 1. In browsers without Javascript frag ids identify a place in a document.
>> 2. In browsers with Javascript and for media types that support active content,
>> frag ids may also be used to pass parameters to the Javascript
>> 3. For Semantic agents frag ids may also be used to identify a concept in a document
>
> That is correct.
>
> So, that is the edit that will need to be made to RFC 3986.

I do not see that happening.  There is nothing in your discussion
that wasn't already discussed during the development of 3986, nor
does the standard need to be changed to support how a given type
of user agent might use identifiers.  What you presume about RDF
is no more universal than what you presume about HTML -- in both
cases, *people* use fragment identifiers to identify what they
want identified.  Javascript uses fragments to identify whatever
it bloody well feels like identifying, and no amount of
categorization will ever "solve" that. The media type in that
instance is text/html, and absolutely nothing prevents it from
using fragments to identify concepts.  In short, the existing text
in 3986 is correct.

....Roy