RE: On what it means for a spec to be "normative" (re HTML5 & normative language spec)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:30:41 -0700
To: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
There's the abstract question of what "Normative" might mean in the general case, and I think the W3C QA documents might address that.

However, specifically, the TAG has asked the HTML working group to produce a normative HTML language reference, and it seems like it would be helpful to be more precise about what WE meant, and why we asked for such a thing.

So maybe we could focus on that: when we said we wanted a normative language specification for HTML, what meaning of "normative" did we mean?

Larry