ISSUE-25: "Browse wrap"

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 02:01:42 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org
This is relevant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browse_wrap

because: there is a legal situation (on which we will not give advice)
the resolution of which affects browser and bot innovation.

This is the question of whether I am bound by legal terms of use
linked from a page I visit (e.g. the American Airlines home page,
whose terms of use prohibit linking to it), or to which I apply my
trusty digital assistant or bot. I.e. does the terms of use page
constitute a binding contract. We can't answer that, but we can say
what the effect of it being or not being binding might be.

This is a matter of contract law, not copyright law.

There is also a good article on 'clickwrap' but that's less relevant.

Jonathan