Strategies for Abandoned Web sites

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:21:09 -0500
To: "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
Mozilla seems to have adopted a strategy for archiving Web sites which are "abandoned" [1]

   * Identify sites that had been abandoned, no longer
     fit the Mozilla mission, or had serious security
     or privacy concerns.
   * Determine a way to retire each site or remedy the
     expressed concerns.
   * Ensure that the site’s purpose within the history
     of the Mozilla mission was preserved.

And they created a Mozilla Web site archive [2]

# Why do I share this?

I have seen different strategies around the Web in my different places of work.

* W3C is using a lot the notion of unique identifiers (through a dated space) to make it easier to manage the legacy
* Most of Web sites done by Web agencies are at a regular pace completely destroyed and remade new with the same domain name without considering the URI legacy.
* Some sites exist for only a couple of years. Think about all these movies Web sites.
* And here there is another proposal with Mozilla, which is kind of shelved Web site (aka managing somehow your own http://archive.org/ )

It also reminds me of the recent proposal: HTTP framework for time-based access to resource states -- Memento [3]

[1] http://blog.mozilla.com/webdev/2011/01/05/mozilla-website-archive/
[2] http://blog.mozilla.com/website-archive/
[3] http://mementoweb.org/guide/rfc/ID/

--