W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > February 2011

Draft minutes for telcon of 2011-01-27 available

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:30:32 -0500
Message-ID: <AANLkTi=ePyDMMzjvxQRhkdSe9BKAVpcGJAPHM2H1G7OC@mail.gmail.com>
To: www-tag@w3.org
At http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/01/27-minutes.html and in plain
text below. Better late than never, I hope. -Jonathan



   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

              Technical Architecture Group Teleconference

27 Jan 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/01/27-agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/27-tagmem-irc

Attendees

   Present
          +1.858.216.aaaa, plinss, Masinter, John_Kemp, jar,
          Ashok_Malhotra, Yves, Noah_Mendelsohn, ht_home, Raman

   Regrets

   Chair
          Noah Mendelsohn

   Scribe
          Jonathan Rees

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Convene
         2. [6]F2F agenda planning
         3. [7]IETF draft on MIME
         4. [8]Thanks Raman
         5. [9]Overdue Action Items
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

Convene

   <trackbot> Date: 27 January 2011

   <scribe> scribenick: jar_

   <scribe> scribe: Jonathan Rees

   <noah> <li>Work with Tim to decide most effective next steps on his
   <a
   href="[11]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/437">ACTION
   -437</a></li>

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/437

   noah: f2f agenda in preparation...

   <johnk> I will have to leave at 2pm today, by the way

   noah: Skipping item 2 of agenda, we'll deal with minutes at an
   upcoming meeting

F2F agenda planning

   ashok: I will send you (Noah) new client side state draft, and foils
   for client side storage story, for people to read

   noah: Please allow TAG members more time for readings requiring more
   time to read
   ... consider accessibility issue regarding colors - how about using
   CSS

   johnk: have been working on security section, hope to have ready in
   time for f2f

   <NoahM> Work in progress agenda:
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/02/08-agenda.html

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/02/08-agenda.html

   noah: I will talk you through it... it's very rough, has some stale
   content
   ... DO NOT look at the part above the red box "chair's working notes
   on ..." ...
   ... but please look at the bullet list following the red box - let's
   review it

   <NoahM> See only the section: Chair's working notes on the Agenda

   <NoahM> Rest is old stuff or work-in-progress.

   <johnk> yes, AWWW security is missing

   action-478?

   <trackbot> ACTION-478 -- Jonathan Rees to prepare a first draft of a
   finding on persistence of references, to be based on decision tree
   from Oct. F2F Due: 2010-01-31 -- due 2011-01-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/478

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/478

   noah: Need to add JohnK + security to list

   action-417?

   <trackbot> ACTION-417 -- John Kemp to frame section 7, security --
   due 2011-01-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/417

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/417

   noah: talk about the IETF Prague meeting at f2f?

   masinter: don't think so

   <NoahM> ACTION-511?

   <trackbot> ACTION-511 -- Larry Masinter to send email framing TAG
   work on registries -- due 2011-01-20 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/511

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/511

   masinter: much of what's in the mime document is about registries
   ... how about let's invite philippe to talk about this

   Noah: we meet with w3c team at lunch on tuesday
   ... the TAG is TEN

   <NoahM> ACTION-381?

   <trackbot> ACTION-381 -- Jonathan Rees to spend 2 hours helping Ian
   with [16]http://www.w3.org/standards/webarch/ -- due 2011-02-11 --
   OPEN

     [16] http://www.w3.org/standards/webarch/

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/381

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/381

   Yves: re issue-58 we can talk about how to autogenerate the catalog

   noah: Being a good teacher is hard, that's why action-381 is hard

   <NoahM> JAR: I've been working on httpRange-14 in conjunction with
   AWWSW. We can discuss it in the AWWSW slot.

   noah: Noting request to put AWWSW and TDB near one another in
   schedule.

IETF draft on MIME

   not everyone up to speed

   masinter: section 1 the web uses mime, section 2 history, 3 problems
   ... maybe i should combine 3 & 4
   ... they're trying to say what's wrong, why we have a problem
   ... section 5, what kinds of fixes could we apply? (without going
   into specifics)
   ... that's the overall plan. there were other comments i got that i
   didn't know what to do with
   ... differences were not significant or major
   ... procedurally better if we don't get everything in here perfect.
   ... I would like people to check to make sure that what I've said
   makes sense

   yves: HTML5 is calling for violation of rules stated in mime
   registry; that is an issue
   ... fragments and mime types [?]
   ... need to find ways to document issues with already registered
   mime types. not easy to do

   masinter: Does the document explain the issues well enough? are the
   proposed list of things to fix complete?
   ... I thought these things were mentioned in the draft. If not need
   to fix

   yves: polyglot. text vs. image. the case of SVG if labelled as
   image/svg+xml or application/xml

   masinter: things missing, or incorrect statements of problems /
   fixes?
   ... Maybe it's close to being done for now.
   ... how about if we talk about it on a telcon after the f2f

   <noah> ACTION-472 to be discussed in future telcon, with aim of
   getting agreement to push forward..f2f time not needed.

   ashok: It's a nicely written paper
   ... There were a couple things related to client side state work.
   Many registrations don't describe semantics of fragids...

   <Ashok> A possible solution is to amend the definition in the media
   types that accept "active content" in them, like HTML and SVG, to
   acknowledge the fact that fragments might also be used (if not in
   contradiction with the 'static' use of those fragments) for
   programmatic purposes.

   ashok: and maybe registrations should say something about active
   content?
   ... I didn't figure out where you came out on magic numbers -
   against, for, useful in addition, what?

   masinter: In many contexts all you have to go on is the magic
   number. A heuristic that in many contexts is essential.
   ... There are situations where the mechanism of transmitting mime
   types hasn't been effective.
   ... Need to be clearer on what they're for. The sniffing doc has
   moved from being individual submission, to work item of security WG
   ... Need to think about authoritative metadata and sniffing
   ... sniffing isn't enough
   ... lots of confusion around language versions. sniffing doesn't
   tell you which version
   ... collisions in magic-number-space

   <johnk> sorry, I have to leave early today

   noah: do we need to go into this detail here? sniffing seems like a
   separate discussion

   masinter: I want the doc to gather in one place all these related
   problems

   noah: servers should do the right thing, because ...

   masinter: Want to increase the scope of the document
   ... include charsets, talk about context in which mime types are
   used
   ... Doc can identify problems without solving them

   raman: Talking about sniffing in this doc is unavoidable. you have
   to.

   <Zakim> NoahM, you wanted to talk about self-describing Web and
   authoritative metadata

   masinter: ready for detailed change suggestions; or new topics

   noah: please lead the process that will lead to a decision to bless

   <noah> ACTION-472?

   <trackbot> ACTION-472 -- Larry Masinter to update the mime-draft
   based on comments & review -- due 2010-12-21 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/472

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/472

   noah: I have reopened action-472

   <noah> ACTION-472 Due 2011-03-01

   <trackbot> ACTION-472 Update the mime-draft based on comments &
   review due date now 2011-03-01

   masinter: would like to get review from everyone, so they can agree
   (or, agree without review)

   <noah> ACTION-472 Due 2011-02-11

   <trackbot> ACTION-472 Update the mime-draft based on comments &
   review due date now 2011-02-11

   masinter: would like to call for resolution at end of f2f

Thanks Raman

   <noah> I would like to note that "as chair", I have thanked Raman
   for his fine service and many contributions to the TAG.

   all: (acclaim)

Overdue Action Items

   <noah> ACTION-341?

   <trackbot> ACTION-341 -- Yves Lafon to follow up with Thomas about
   security review activities for HTML5 -- due 2011-01-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/341

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/341

   <noah> ACTION-341 2011-03-29

   <noah> ACTION-341 Due 2011-03-29

   <trackbot> ACTION-341 Follow up with Thomas about security review
   activities for HTML5 due date now 2011-03-29

   <noah> JAR: Anyone know if Web Apps working group is moving on
   CORS/UMP?

   <noah> LM: Web security working group at IETF is picking up some of
   that from Web Apps at W3C

   <Yves> [20]https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/websec/

     [20] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/websec/

   <noah> ACTION-471?

   <trackbot> ACTION-471 -- Noah Mendelsohn to schedule discussion of
   "Like SVG" Dist Extensibility Proposal for HTML5 -- due 2010-09-28
   -- CLOSED

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/471

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/471

   <noah> ACTION-417?

   <trackbot> ACTION-417 -- John Kemp to frame section 7, security --
   due 2011-01-25 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/417

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/417

   <noah> 417 will be on the F2F agenda (not 471)

   noah: Thursday call is on unless cancelled

   ADJOURNED

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([24]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/02/15 19:26:27 $

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Tuesday, 15 February 2011 19:31:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:30 GMT