Re: Desktop use of favicons for URI holders

On 02/12/2011, at 9:06 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> Dean wrote:
>> That's for the case where you're happy to have a single icon for all devices. But if you want custom icons for iPhone, iPhone "Retina" and iPad:
>>
>> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="touch-icon-iphone.png" />
>> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="72x72" href="touch-icon-ipad.png" />
>> <link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="114x114" href="touch-icon-iphone4.png" />
>
> Hey Dean, have you heard of this neat new tech called SVG?

Using SVG is a better form of scaling the icon from a fixed PNG, but it still won't be good enough. Take a look at the best icons in use today. Many have been created lovingly by hand or, if not, using some 3d tool like Cinema4D so they can get realistic lighting, more complex gradients, etc. SVG can't represent these. I suspect if you tell any professional icon designer that they only need to supply a single size and we'll take care of the scaling for them, you'll get yelled at.

Unless I misunderstood your point and you were suggesting a single SVG with some tricky <switch> statement or CSS media queries to select from one of many embedded bitmaps.

Dean