Re: Desktop use of favicons for URI holders

On Dec 2, 2011, at 13:30 , Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 2 déc. 2011 à 05:06, Robin Berjon a écrit :
>> That makes sense for Speed Dial which shows rather big snapshots of Web apps, but I'm not sure it'd work for an app launcher. At least, I don't think we had that use case in mind when writing the view-mode spec.
>
> sure.
> It depends on what we want to do with it. The speed-dial case is the "icon" into the browser space.
> But we could imagined we have a mini-app with the minimized mode when it is an icon. An app can be a full-fledged something or just maybe a simple cache of the page when you drag/drop the link and the icon for this page or just a link.

If the app is actually running when iconised, then this is definitely one of the use cases for view-mode. But if it's just for a launcher icon, then I would expect not: the assumption behind view-mode is that it is applying to a dynamic context, and you wouldn't want that for an icon.

> Tim, What do you expect about the icons?
>
> * reopen in a browser?
> * be a page by itself?
> * does it work offline?

I think it should be up the page to specify. There are already proprietary tricks for that:

If you look inside the HTML code for http://html5boilerplate.com/mobile you will see a bunch of other such things, including a lovely piece of minified code that prevents links from opening in the browser when the page is run by itself (navigator.standalone is true).

There's a picking of quite a few low-hanging fruits that are ripe for standardisation in that basket.

> SVG for icons yes definitely. It makes sense.

That much is obvious. I was just teasing Dino.

> The group Webapps or maybe the new following CG?
> http://www.w3.org/community/native-web-apps/

I think it might make sense to kickstart this in the CG. WebApps is an interesting target because it's preparing its rechartering, but at the same time the group wants to move to doing only APIs (and probably rename to the old "Web APIs").