Re: Desktop use of favicons for URI holders

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:30:35 -0500
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

Le 2 déc. 2011 à 05:06, Robin Berjon a écrit :
> That makes sense for Speed Dial which shows rather big snapshots of Web apps, but I'm not sure it'd work for an app launcher. At least, I don't think we had that use case in mind when writing the view-mode spec.

sure.
It depends on what we want to do with it. The speed-dial case is the "icon" into the browser space.
But we could imagined we have a mini-app with the minimized mode when it is an icon. An app can be a full-fledged something or just maybe a simple cache of the page when you drag/drop the link and the icon for this page or just a link.

Tim, What do you expect about the icons?

* reopen in a browser?
* be a page by itself?
* does it work offline?

SVG for icons yes definitely. It makes sense.
The group Webapps or maybe the new following CG?
http://www.w3.org/community/native-web-apps/

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/