W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > August 2011

RE: Any update on TAG request?

From: Phillips, Addison <addison@lab126.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 22:18:23 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Message-ID: <131F80DEA635F044946897AFDA9AC3476A954CFF39@EX-SEA31-D.ant.amazon.com>
Hi Noah,

Thanks for this. I am writing a response to Larry's note, but haven't had time to finish it today. I hope to send it in the morning.

Our concern is that we have two possible somewhat-mutually-exclusive courses of action regarding normalization and it would be best if the current crop of high-profile specs embraced one or the other. The I18N WG would like to clarify and publish a real CR for Charmod-Norm supporting what the Web actually does. We look to TAG to help provide that guidance by reviewing the alternatives and helping us make the better recommendation (based on practicality and on the needs of the Web as a community).

Please let me know what, if any, information would be helpful. Please note that, in the email referenced below, "reference [4]" is actually "reference [3]".

Addison

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Noah Mendelsohn [mailto:nrm@arcanedomain.com]
> Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:32 PM
> To: Jonathan Rees
> Cc: www-tag@w3.org; Phillips, Addison
> Subject: Re: Any update on TAG request?
> 
> Yes, I've been remiss and owe a followup. I convess that I'm not the one with
> domain expertise in this, but I intend to give it a look within the next few days
> to see whether I can figure out next steps, if any, for the TAG. My apologies for
> the delay; it had indeed slipped through the cracks when I went through my
> post-vacation email in early July, and was "lost"
> until I was reminded on the 4th of August.
> 
> Noah
> 
> On 8/18/2011 12:28 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> > [Content-free reply, just creating links for tracker]
> >
> > This came up on Aug 4,
> > http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/08/04-minutes#item04

> >
> > There was no substantive discussion but...
> >
> > ACTION-590 - Follow up with Addison Phillips on Unicode normalization
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jun/0188.html [on Noah
> > Mendelsohn - due 2011-08-11]
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Larry Masinter<masinter@adobe.com>
> wrote:
> >> I guess this flew by ... Maybe I'm completely missing something?  I'm not
> sure what the TAG is going to add to this, or why it should be a TAG finding.
> >>
> >> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jun/0188.html

> >>
> >> contains:
> >> # In the meantime, documents such as CSS3 Selectors and HTML5 depend
> >> on or could be impacted by Unicode Normalization.  In a discussion
> >> with Peter Linss, co-chair of CSS, and others [4],
> >>
> >> But there is no reference [4].
> >>
> >> # it was felt that the best course of action was to allow some or all existing
> specs to make progress while seeking a TAG finding to clarify the direction for
> normalization going forwards.
> >>
> >> I don't understand why this is the "best course of action"...
> >>
> >> You are the internationalization experts, the TAG are not. Why isn't the best
> course of action for the W3C I18N working group to finish its document based
> on community consensus, including the CSS and HTML working groups?
> >>
> >> #  Some members of our WG feel that closure on the issue of normalization
> is important for future interoperability.
> >>
> >> Yes, sounds good.
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/

> >>
> >> If there were some disagreement or opposing viewpoints or an issue where
> the TAG could act as a tie-breaker, that might be a different situation, but so
> far all I can see is some work that the Internationalization working group (of
> which you are chair) hasn't finished.
> >>
> >> What am I missing?
> >>
> >> Larry
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On
> >> Behalf Of Phillips, Addison
> >> Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:47 PM
> >> To: www-tag@w3.org
> >> Cc: member-i18n-core@w3.org
> >> Subject: Any update on TAG request?
> >>
> >> Dear TAG,
> >>
> >> Some time ago, I requested [1] some time from the TAG to consider the
> problem of normalization in W3C specs. I didn't get a response from the TAG. I
> do see a recent new action in your tracker (ACTION-590), but the minutes
> related to it seem slightly different from our request.
> >>
> >> Could you please clarify when we should prepare to discuss this issue with
> TAG?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Addison
> >>
> >> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Jun/0188.html

> >>
> >> Addison Phillips
> >> Globalization Architect (Lab126)
> >> Chair (W3C I18N WG)
> >>
> >> Internationalization is not a feature.
> >> It is an architecture.
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
Received on Friday, 19 August 2011 05:18:49 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:39 GMT