Re: wikileaks - Web Architecture and Robustness

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:21:06 +0000
Cc: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
On Dec 5, 2010, at 23:07 , Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 4 December 2010 19:49, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> And here a poster showing the domain name being created and blocked step by step.
>> http://jaffiche.fr/les-pays-dont-la-france-partent-a-la-chasse-au-wikileaks-566
>
> The Web seems to be demonstrating a degree of fault tolerance on this issue.
>
> http://wikileaks.ch/mirrors.html
>
> There are 200 'mirrors' now listed, and counting.

Only because this is a high profile case with a large sympathetic community. If similar censorship methods had been levelled at a smaller, less popular cause that isn't a press and Twitter darling, it would likely be offline by now (or at the very least see its operation much more seriously affected).

WikiLeaks is also simpler because it's static content  you can mirror it with a single wget command. With a more elaborate service requiring complex setup, or the synching of a DB, it would be far more problematic. In other words, we shouldn't take WikiLeaks' resilience as a general indication.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/