Re: wikileaks - Web Architecture and Robustness

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:05:21 -0500
Cc: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>

On 2010-12 -06, at 09:21, Robin Berjon wrote:

>> There are 200 'mirrors' now listed, and counting.
>
> Only because this is a high profile case with a large sympathetic community. If similar censorship methods had been levelled at a smaller, less popular cause that isn't a press and Twitter darling, it would likely be offline by now (or at the very least see its operation much more seriously affected).

So if (say) those who point to a page have a random tendency to cache it just in case,
they should coordinate so that hose who point to the less popular sites
should increase their chance of being a mirror in order to make sure that everything
will end up being mirrored somewhere -- and you can find it automatically by following the backlink?
"Mutual Aid"

> WikiLeaks is also simpler because it's static content  you can mirror it with a single wget command. With a more elaborate service requiring complex setup, or the synching of a DB, it would be far more problematic. In other words, we shouldn't take WikiLeaks' resilience as a general indication.

Of course standards help.  Linked data can be mirrored of course just like HTML.

A Sparql service is weel-defined, a mirror can get a copy of the data in
a standard transfer format, stick it in their favorite triple store, and turn on SPARQL.
But it isn't automatic.