Re: web architecture and safe content

Le 11 oct. 2009 à 08:56, Mukul Gandhi a écrit :
> I feel, a preferences like, "SafeSearch Filtering" must be part of W3C
> web architecture (or perhaps some kind of search engine guidelines).

What is "Safe" is very dependent on one's culture.
Example: a singer nipple on stage made a big mess in USA when it would
not have raised any eyebrows in some european countries.
Many examples can be chosen for language level, political ideas, etc.

It is then almost impossible to label photos in a binary safe or not
safe way. There are many types of safe or non safe which depends on
the individual and one's community. Maybe a better option would be to
develop community trust mechanisms. One's would rely on his/her
community notion of safe URIs (system of shared bookmarking etc.) That
would make an interesting semantic Web project.

POWDER is an attempt at that, labeling web pages.
see http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-powder-primer-20090901/

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada