Re: Proposed AWWW erratum on "information resources" [was Re: Fwd: Splitting vs. Interpreting]

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 11:32 -0400, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
> David Booth wrote:
[ . . . ]
> > In some ways I agree, that it would be more appropriate to put the
> > material on ambiguity in a separate document on semantic web
> > architecture (which builds on web architecture, of course).  The reason
> > I included it here is that that is the only way I can see to explain
> > what's going on when someone uses the same URI for both a person and a
> > web page, and someone else complains that that creates an ambiguity.
> >
> The word "ambiguity" is itself ambiguous without an explicitly specified
> ontological ground.  *Who * says, or *where* does it say, that it is
> ambiguous if a URI denotes both a person and a web page (what is a web
> page anyway)?  The semantics is, in fact, quite clear: the URI's
> referent is what it is -- a person and a web page.

That is only clear to applications that have no need to distinguish
between the person and the web page.  But applications that need to
distinguish between them will find the referent ambiguous if it is both
a person and a web page.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)