Re: Link: relation registry and 303

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:35:49 +1100
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

FWIW -- I'm in the process of editing link-04, and consensus was
already moving in the direction of NOT having the registered relations
be URIs, because of the complexity that brought to interpreting
(historically, they've been compared case-insensitively). That means
that, to some degree, this discussion is moot.

The extension relations (i.e., non-registered) are still URIs, and as
mentioned before, I'm happy to say that those URIs refer to documents
describing the relations, if that will allow us to move forward.

On 30/01/2009, at 2:54 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> [...]
> being rolled out which don't use the technology.  There is a new
> legacy application made every few minutes,  It is painful -- one
> wants to say -- no, wait do it with the web stuff.   But it is
> better to let them go by, and concentrate on the people and systems
> that do get it, and get that n^2 law going.
>> Some anecdotes would really help me here. The question "what
>> concrete problem does it solve" is one I have trouble answering. I
>> can make up stories, talk about communication friction and so on,
>> but the abstract answers are not very convincing. I liked the
>> bookmarking scenario you started on the call, and would like to
>> hear more about it.
> It's just that if I read something interesting on the Web, I can
> bookmark it, and email you and in general use the URI of it to refer
> to the thing I read.  People do that so much that we can't break it
> to say "sometimes though it will actually refer to something else".
> It isn't an arbitrary choice.  When I send you the URI of a web
> page, my expectation is that you will get the same information.  Not
> different information about the same subject. The same page (maybe
> in a different language) (maybe updated).  The URI identifies the
> document, page, whatever you call it.  that's how the web works.
> you can argue till the cows come home about exactly what aspects of
> the web page you expect to be invariant under different GETs, but it
> isn't that main subject described by the page is invariant.
>> I don't think IANA (or Mark N) would be equating a document and a
>> property. They are just saying that the 200 doesn't mean it's a
>> document,
> So they use the URI to refer to the concept and not the document.
> This is argument 2.
> problem with it:
> I can bookmark the page I see there and I can just use the URI for
> the document.
>> and who are the TAG and the semantic web community to tell me
>> otherwise?
> Well, you don't have to use semantic web technology, but when you
> make up URIs for binary relationships, then you are in the territory
> and should go with the consensus.  We don't mess
> with what the bits in IP packet mean, (layer below) or what the XBRL
> financial terms mean (layer above) we just make sure the linked data
> layer works.
>>> There are best practice documents such as
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/#recipe2
>>> to help developers set up web sites.
>> Difficulty of execution has not been the hurdle in the
>> conversations I've had (but I do not deny that it's an issue for
>> some people).
> No, I'm sure that IANA folks can configure Apache -- just to let
> them know we are not asking them to do anything weird and untried.
> there are billions of URIs (I guess, not having counted) in the
> Linked Open data project from all kinds of sources.
>>> The semantic web architecture has been developed on top of the
>>> architecture. (You cannot be expected to derive it from the HTTP