Re: Link: relation registry and 303

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:35 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> FWIW -- I'm in the process of editing link-04, and consensus was
> already moving in the direction of NOT having the registered
> relations be URIs, because of the complexity that brought to
> interpreting (historically, they've been compared case-
> insensitively). That means that, to some degree, this discussion is
> moot.

Ah, sweet relief!

> The extension relations (i.e., non-registered) are still URIs, and
> as mentioned before, I'm happy to say that those URIs refer to
> documents describing the relations, if that will allow us to move
> forward.

This certainly gets a nice separation of layers -- no reference to the
semweb layer inside of an Internet layer RFC.

It creates a problem for the semweb community, that of choosing URIs
for the corresponding properties (relations). But the semweb community
has the problem of determining URIs in spades already, so it can just
use whatever tactics it already uses. This would have no impact on the
RFC.   ... In fact POWDER has already minted its own URI for the
describedby relation, so pushing the relation URI problem out of the
RFC makes it easier to coordinate POWDER and Link:.

To Tim: I have tried using your 'turf' argument (this is semweb
territory, do it our way), but it always seems weak. I quixotically
looked to RFC 2616 as a way to argue the legitimacy of such
jurisdiction within the Internet layer specs. httpRange-14 is annoying
because it seems to impinge on rights granted by RFCs and assumed by
the community. If we say it's a good practice note or exhortation and
buyer beware, that's one thing, but calling it part of the
"architecture" and giving it protocol status seems different to me.

HTTPbis might be an opportunity to clarify this jurisdiction question
somehow.

Jonathan