Re: Near final draft of TAG finding on the Self-Describing Web

From: Mark Baker <mark@coactus.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:39:46 -0500
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Noah,

I like the draft and the recent changes to it very much.

I have an issue with Sec 4.2.3, "Self-describing XML Documents",
though, specifically the second sentence which says;

"Given that a Web document is of media type application/xml, or in the
family of media types application/____+xml, recursive processing from
the root element may be applied to determine not just the overall
nature of the document, but also the meaning in context of all
sub-elements."

My concern is with the mention of the application/xml media type
there, which I feel inappropriate because RFC 3023 doesn't license,
for example, that an XHTML document delivered as application/xml is
intended to evoke XHTML semantics.

Also, in section 6.1, reference is made to RFC 2717 (as an example)
which has been obsoleted by RFC 4395.

Mark.