content negotiation in HTTP

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:17:00 -0800
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
With respect to the discussion of content negotiation:

I have a year-old action item to update the section of the
HTTP document on content negotiation:

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/81

I'm hoping to get to this without delving deeply into the
semantic web while discussing the protocol implementations
of "accept:" headers.

I think content-negotiation *did* work out in practice
in some limited circumstances, but that it didn't work
out for the application that originally motivated its
introduction to HTTP in 1992 or so.

I hope to get to this work soon, although probably
not until after my first TAG F2F meeting.

(resources: angels, URIs: pins)

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net