Re: HTML and XML

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 06:45:37 -0800
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: "Henry S.Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, www-tag@w3.org
Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Sure enough, with this incitement, Philip found a sample application I
> had released with my serializer and managed to get it (though not
> Validator.nu itself) produce ill-formed output. How? I was relying on
> the JAXP-supplied SAX2 parser to honor its end of the SAX2 API contract
> as it applies to XML 1.0 (4th ed. and earlier). However, Philip fed my
> app XML 1.1 which the JAXP-provided parser (Xerces2 in this case) failed
> to reject thereby allowing bad SAX events to enter the pipeline
> (specifically, a namespace mapping that mapped a prefix to the empty
> string).

That's why in XOM I'm very careful about which parsers I do and don't
trust. Basically I only trust late-model Xerces and only if I've
specifically configured it to resolve DTDs and reject XML 1.1.
Otherwise, I recheck everything the parser is supposed to check.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA