Re: HTML and XML

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:41:30 -0800
To: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
By the way, on a side note I just checked dblp.xml; all 500MB of it; and
today it looks well-formed to me. Instructions for checking:

$ xmllint --loaddtd --noout dblp.xml

If there are no error messages, then it's well-formed. (I downloaded the
gzipped version and parsed it locally.) This should work on any Unix,
provided libxml is installed (and these days it usually is, except
perhaps on Mac OS X.)

If you don't include --loaddtd or if you parse a local copy without the
DTD available,  then you'll see a bunch of messages aboput undefined
entities, though these aren't technically well-formedness errors.

I don't think you actually said what department your class was in. By
any chance were your Ph.D. students that had all the problems philosophy
  majors instead of C.S? If so, that would likely explain why we see
such radically different issues with the teaching and usability of this
material.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA