Re: Question on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data

Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> Hello Xiaoshu,
>

>> Of course. But in Michael's example, the conneg is conducted on the
>> "http://sw-app.org/sandbox/house".
>>

> Opps... yes.... /me backtracks and fills on the missing "sandbox" and mentally does so for all preceding posts...

Yes, we are fine here.  Not the URI literal, current URI spec don't have
that capability yet.

>>  Then, my point is: with regard to "the:png" and "the:ttl",
>> "pgn" and "ttl" are representations of different things.
>>

> awww:representations, yes?

Yes.

>> That is obviously true.  But let's assume that "the:png" and "the:ttl"
>> don't exist
>>

> URI don't exist or the things to which they are intended to refer?

Undisclosed as you mentioned later.
> [BTW: I think URI are used links in such away that <uri> pol:represents <pol:thing>]

Well, my thinking is:
<uri> pol:denotes <pol:Thing>.
Dereference a <uri> by a protocol, such as HTTP, gets a
<pol:Representation>
And <pol:Representation> pol:represents <pol:thing>

If awww:Representation is any different from pol:Representation, it is a
subsume relation such as this,

And <awww:representation> rdfs:subClassOf <pol:Representation>

>> or instance, we don't have to provide it in the
>> Content-Location when they are served under "the:house" URI).
>>

> Not exist or just undisclosed.
>

>> Then,
>> "png" and "ttl" are awww:representations of "the:house" -- as you said -
>> a set of ephemeral set of bits and some metadata.
>>

> Be careful with the prescription of this particular example in that "the:house" as in "http://sw_app.org/sandbox/house" has never been claimed anywhere as designating a house (conceptual, actual, class or otherwise)- that priviledge was afford to "http://sw_app.org/sandbox/house.ttl#my".

Does it matter with a fragment identifier or not? I don't think so.  All
URI should work in the same way, fragmented or not.  The difference of a
fragment URI and a non-fragmented one is the path to the representation
(either awww or pol one, it doesn't matter).  How we obtain the
information of something should have nothing to do with the semantics of
that thing. This is, in fact, the critical mistake of httpRange-14.
> Neither, the PNG serialisation of the image or the ttl serialisation of the graph are claimed as representations of whatever is designated by "http://sw_app.org/sandbox/house.ttl#my".
I am a bit confused by the wording "Neither".  Do you mean that the PNG
serialization of the image can NOT be the representation of
"http://www.sw-app.org/sandbox/house.ttl#my"? Or you mean it can?  I opt
for the "can" because I don't see any reason for me NOT to accept
other's claim.  And from the picture, it seems that that image is
intended for "http://www.sw-app.org/sandbox/house.ttl#my".

> At best one might claim them as equivlent representations of "http://sw_app.org/sandbox/house" but I have no idea what resource Michael intended that to be.
>

>> Please note, now, I
>> am not referring to the awww:representation returned from "the:png" and
>> the "the:ttl" but from "the:house". Can we say "png" and "ttl" are the
>> representations of the same thing - "the:house"?
>>

> See above... the protocol is at least claiming them as representations of whatever is designated by "http://sw_app.org/sandbox/house". The narrative has offered no suggestion so far as to what that might be. I suppose it could be some composite description/depiction of a house - and one could maybe reasonably argue that the two awww:representations were reasonable representations of such composite - but you have started to work hard to create an awkward composite for the purposes of an argument.

Why "the:house" has to be a description/depiction of a house?  If
"http://www.sw-app.org/sandbox/house#my" denotes the house that someone
actual lives it and the PNG or ttl serialization of it can NOT be a
awww:representation of it? It is the "NOT" that should work hard to
create an awkward argument, as the debate for IR and httpRange-14.  Not
by me.  My view is always simple, you get a representation, you
understand its content, and you tries to understand things.

>> If the answer is "yes", then we don't differ in anything. If the answer
>> is "no", then that is where the difference resides.
>>

> Well, in so doing the protocol is making the claim. And in some careful constructed examples the claim might even be reasonably justified - but it is highly likely that the png and ttl serialisations will be awww:representations of different things.
Does it matter if some representation is "highly likely" be
awww:representation of different things.  Given the context -- you get
an awww:representation of a thing denoted by a URI -- what does it has
to do with the possibilities that the obtained representation might be
used under other context?  I don't understand.
> But the claim made by the protocol can be inconsistent with 'reality'.
>
> Consider conneg between a .jpeg and .png representations of an image. I think we find something objectionable of the user were presented with a rendering of a dog in one case and a car in another. What resource could that possibly be? Well we could make up a very strange one for which it were reasonable - but on the whole it isn't the sort of thing that happens.

That could be two cases (1) a poor implementation or (2) there does
exist something like a car-dog. In the first case, can any specification
prevents people from making mistakes?  In the second case, who are we to
say something is true or not?  We don't have to believe it but do we
have the right to say that someone-else shouldn't express his belief ?
> FragId semantics are the other things that has to be coherent across connected representations. RDF representation inherently have a "thing-described-by" indirection - the #frag part is not designating some region within the serialisation (as it does in html) but something described by statements carried in the serialisation. I don't know what #frags are said to refer to for the .png media-type registration.

Every URI (fragmented or not) has "thing-described-by" indirection. Not
just in RDF.  For instance, http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#identification
doesn't not denote an HTML fragment with an id attribute or name
"identification".  It denotes the thing/content described by that URI.
To use the notation that I discussed at
http://dfdf.inesc-id.pt/tr/uri-issues, the URI --
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/??application/xhtml+xml#identification --
denotes an HTML's element.