Re: HTML and XML

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 02:48:29 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, David Orchard <orchard@pacificspirit.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-tag@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Elliotte Harold wrote:
>> I'm not so sure. I'm not aware of any current specs that attempt to
>> prescribe the handling of a byte stream received over HTTP
>
> Off the top of my head: CSS, PNG, text/plain, XML.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, all of those basically have the
> same kinds of requirements as HTML5, specifically how to determine the
> encoding, how to obtain meaning from bytes using that encoding, etc.

"Handling" I suppose is a vague term, but XML and text/plain describe
neither rendering, semantics, nor behavior. They say absolutely nothing
about what a processor should or must do with any given byte stream or
what meaning it infers to those bytes. They describe syntax, nothing more.

CSS and PNG describe rendering--that's their whole purpose--but not
behavior.

HTML 5 attempts to prescribe almost everything. It is far more demanding
and less flexible than previous specs.

Refactoring HTML Just Published!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0321503635/ref=nosim/cafeaulaitA