Re: conneg, HTTPbis, and generic resources (status check)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 21:56:07 +0000 (UTC)
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> On 2009-11 -25, at 10:50, Larry Masinter wrote:
> >
> > Presumably you mean "by Google". Whether the same is true for any
> > other search engine is unclear, but I suppose other search engines are
> > forced to reverse engineer Google's page ranking in the same way that
> > browsers are forced to reverse engineer Internet Explorer.
>
> No, they compete to make them better. There is no reason to copy
> Google's faults. If they can find a more relevant page then more power
> to them.

Indeed. In fact we (Google) find ourselves reverse engineering browsers
quite a lot, but to my knowledge are not aware of cases of search engines
reverse engineering each other. The few times search engines have
implemented similar search-specific features (robots.txt, rel=nofollow,
rel=canonical, sitemaps), the features were developed in conjunction with
other search engines, not via reverse engineering.

HTH,