Re: conneg, HTTPbis, and generic resources (status check)

On 2009-11 -25, at 10:50, Larry Masinter wrote:

>> I read in the tag minutes ... http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Aug/0067.html
>
>    masinter: That was the original conception when ....
>
> I said more, but I talk faster than anyone can reasonably keep up
> with. The "..." ellipses were paragraphs. But was there some issue
> with what was minuted?
>
> # Content Negotiation on languages
>
> Yes, using content negotiation for language selection interferes
> with page ranking.

Depending on whether the search engine is aware of the various
language-specific resources through metadata about them.   If that is
the case, then the the kudos of all the related pages is merged and a
dingle entry can be presented to the user.

> Presumably you mean "by Google". Whether the same is true for any
> other search engine is unclear, but I suppose other search engines
> are forced to reverse engineer Google's page ranking in the same way
> that browsers are forced to reverse engineer Internet Explorer.

No, they compete to make them better. There is no reason to copy
Google's faults.
If they can find a more relevant page then more power to them.

>  Should there be standards specifying what parts of URIs search
> engines should or should not pay attention to, or whether they
> should index content-negotiated pages?

No, there should be standards for metadata explaining what is going on.

Tim