Re: [XRI] Back to XRI

Hi David,

thing-described-by.org is a good example of the use of 303 redirects.

In HXRI and XRDS-Simple we do want "aware" applications to be able
directly request the meta data about the "thing" that the URI is about.

XRDS-Simole as used in openID, oAuth, OpenSocial and other places,
currently use the accept header to request the XRDS meta-data as
opposed to HTML content.

For example https://ve7jtb.pip.verisignlabs.com/ with no accept header
returns my personal identity page.
The same URL with an accept header specifying MIME media type,
application/xrds+xml, returns XRDS meta-data.

For the HXRI proxy the request for the XRDS meta-data is accomplished
by appending a query string to the URI.

One of the things we are looking for is the best way to indicate in a
query about a "thing" that you want a particular sort of meta-data
about the "thing",  XRDS document, RDF document,  or something else.

When the URI is about a "thing" in meet space what is the meaning of
content negotiation?

One of the things that we need the most work on is how to perform what
might be thought of meta-data content negotiation for URI that are
about "things".

The best solution we have found at this point is to use Link Headers
to indicate where the related meta-data can be found at distinct URI.
This is would be consistent with Mark Nottingham's draft
recommendations: http://www.mnot.net/drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt
This clearly requires an extra GET that some users are resistant to.

Perhaps that is just a limitation of http: that we will have to live
with.

The XRDS-Simple community has raised the possibility of using OPTIONS
and custom request headers as ways of doing meta-data content
negotiation.

The XRI-TC is looking for input on this.
Our desire is that revisions to HXRI and XRDS-Simple are as compatible
with AWWW as possible.

I know that people like David Booth have been thinking about this for
some time.

Thanks
John Bradley