Re: Passwords in the clear update

I think I agree with Dave Orchard here.  MUST NOT is pretty strong.  Let's
say I put up a Web site for my family, an  example I've used before.  I
want some barriers to casual access by others, but I really don't care
that much whether anyone breaks in to see the photos of my kids' birthday
party.  Being a smart guy and having read the strong warnings following
the SHOULD NOT in the finding, I don't give users the option to choose
their own passwords, but use a system that assigns one to each user.  I
make sure they're strong enough for my purposes (not necessarily very
strong in this case), but more to the point I've significantly reduced the
chance that it will be the same password a member of my family uses for
any other system.  Just to be sure, in the email giving each user his/her
password, I even warn them not to use the same password for any important
systems.  Seems fine to me.  What's broken.  So, SHOULD NOT.  MUST NOT
should be reserved for things that are always a mistake, and I don't think
this is.

By the way, this reminds me of another hole.  How many systems carefully
use https for login, but send passwords around using insecure email.  How
many users store copies of those emails in unencrypted files.  Yes, much
of this is bad practice, and perhaps it should be called out as such in
the finding.  Still, it somewhat oversimplifies the discussion to focus a
strong MUST NOT on the exchange of passwords using HTTP, while not saying
anything at all about other common situations in which the same passwords
are transmitted or stored "in the clear".

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street