Re: Passwords in the clear update

ext noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I think I agree with Dave Orchard here.  MUST NOT is pretty strong.  Let's
> say I put up a Web site for my family, an  example I've used before.  I
> want some barriers to casual access by others, but I really don't care
> that much whether anyone breaks in to see the photos of my kids' birthday
> party.

>  Seems fine to me.  What's broken.  So, SHOULD NOT.  MUST NOT
> should be reserved for things that are always a mistake, and I don't think
> this is.

OK, I can say I agree with your use-case. And I guess you wouldn't use
SSL because it's too difficult to set it up on your family website...

I do wonder though whether this finding is really addressed to those
running their family website (except TAG members ;), rather than those
who write web software for living?

> By the way, this reminds me of another hole.  How many systems carefully
> use https for login, but send passwords around using insecure email.  How
> many users store copies of those emails in unencrypted files.  Yes, much
> of this is bad practice, and perhaps it should be called out as such in
> the finding.  Still, it somewhat oversimplifies the discussion to focus a
> strong MUST NOT on the exchange of passwords using HTTP, while not saying
> anything at all about other common situations in which the same passwords
> are transmitted or stored "in the clear".

I certainly see your point, and I agree it would be good not to
oversimplify.

I think I can also agree that if the finding should address the use-case
you describe, in addition to scenarios where we hope to impact web
software then we need to allow quite a lot of leeway.

- johnk