Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme

From: Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 23:00:54 +0200
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>
Cc: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@danbri.org>, "Marcos Caceres" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>, "Jon Ferraiolo" <jferrai@us.ibm.com>

On Wed, 28 May 2008 17:27:27 +0200, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> It is important I think that the package itself have an HTTP URI.
> Yes, there will be times when you don't retrieve it in the normal course
> of business, and times when it is aggressively cached (what we call
> installation), but it should have an HTTP URI for all the normal reasons.

No, there are times where a widget or resource does not have _any_
meaningful origin URL, e.g. an unsigned and untrusted widget/zip retrieved
over MMS or bluetooth, or copied on to a device in terms of direct
filesystem access.  Are you proposing UA's should then make up that origin
URL as a HTTP URI?

--
Arve Bersvendsen

Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/