RE: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:06:49 -0700
To: "'Marcos Caceres'" <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>, <public-appformats@w3.org>

One set of questions the current specification raises are similar to the
ones that were raised during discussions of registering a zip-based MIME
type: that the referenced ZIP specification itself is not a standard,
implementations vary, and that a simple reference to the PKWare "ZIP"
specification wasn't sufficient to insure interoperability:

http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/2007-September/001915.html

In addition, as I also mentioned in my previous message, I think that a URI
scheme that's restricted to ZIP may be too narrow. I agree with the
sentiments that led to a proposal for some way of covering rooted
directories, whether packaged or not, although I'm not certain about the
opera proposal itself:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/opera_browser/3650419.htm

Larry