Re: On the context sensitivity of the QName Schema Datatype

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:49:29 -0600
To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com
CC: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, connolly@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

ashok malhotra wrote:
> I'm wondering what our friends in Schema would say if we requested a
> CURIE datatype.
> There are clearly problems with the syntax which need to be addressed.
> But would they warm to the semantics?
Actually, I am not convinced CURIEs would solve this problem since they
are also context sensitive.  They rely upon @xmlns to define prefix
mappings in XML grammars, and you can change @xmlns prefixes throughout
a document.

I would, however, welcome a formal XSD datatype for CURIEs.  Right now
we are defining one in terms of the XHTML datatype space.