Re: [httpRedirections-57] Resource-Decription Header: a possible proposal to consider.

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:08:43 -0500
Cc: ext Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>

On Feb 12, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> Something like http://sw.nokia.com/uriqa/URIQA.html  ???
>
> We've been using this approach successfully for years at Nokia...
> FWIW.
>
> Patrick

Yes, very much like that, but dissing the answer to your question
"Why not first use a HEAD request to get another URI via which the
description can be accessed?"
which is what we're proposing here.

I like the FAQ, but the way - concise and useful.

Technically your solution is superior, I think, but it has a larger
implementation burden. Link: or Resource-description: can be
implemented directly in Apache 2.3 configuration files with no
additional programming, while MGET would require some changes to the
server code.

The fact that the same functionality has been designed and
implemented over and over again suggests that a standardization
effort would pay off.

Jonathan