Re: new public-pkg-uri-scheme mailing list

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 01:08:59 +0900
To: Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>, 2008-12-03 07:59 -0800:

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > The new list is now ready to go:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pkg-uri-scheme/
>
> But the original suggestion from Larry Masinter [1] was:
> > I realize that we've moved from discussing ZIP packages and URI references into them to a deeper
> > I realize that we've moved from discussing ZIP packages and URI references into them to a deeper
> > discussion of the role of architecture and orthogonality, language specifications
> > vs. implementation guidelines, the handling of error conditions in
> > standards documents, and the interplay of extensibility vs. consistency of behavior.
> > I think that's important, but perhaps should be handled with a narrower mailing list
> > I think that's important, but perhaps should be handled with a narrower mailing list

Actually, that suggestion for another mailing list was made after
the original suggestion (some time back, last month) for a
specific mailing list for a package-URI-scheme discussion. The
list was set up in response to that suggestion from last month.

> Is the new list to discuss the specific topic of URI references
> in ZIP packages,

Yes, for that specific purpose.

> or the larger architectural topics raised in Ian Hickson's
> message [2] to which Larry was replying?

To me at least, those seem like topics that appropriate for
discussion on www-tag, and the discussion about them might better
continue here than being moved to a new list.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/