Re: newbie question about sparql and 200

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 13:23 -0400, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> My question has nothing to do with state, by the way. I just want to
> know whether the obvious interpretation holds (a graph is an IR) and
> is consistent with AWWW/httpRange-14, or whether some roundabout
> explanation is needed to distinguish the graph from the IR.
>
> Personally I would prefer the naive interpretation, the more inclusive
> reading of IR, and would have said it was consistent with AWWW. But
> when I have attempted this reasoning with other mathematical objects
> (such as numbers) I have been "corrected" with the assertion that
> abstract things like numbers and graphs are not IRs, and must be
> distinguished from the IRs that describe them (or rather that provide
> representations of them).

Opinions vary on that. Neither AWWW nor the SPARQL spec takes
a position one way or the other on whether numbers and
graphs are IRs.

>  It was under the assumption of this narrow IR interpretation that I
> said I preferred the convoluted form, since I wouldn't want to force
> 303s for every <u> that occurs in a FROM or WHERE.
>
> I mainly want to know (in this instance), when I write metadata about
> an RDF graph, can I use the same URI as the one that occurs in FROM
> and WHERE clauses, and still be consistent with AWWW and httpRange-14?
> If I write two triples, one that says <u> triple-count 133. (requiring
> an RDF graph as subject) and another that says <u> dc:author "John
> Maynard Smith". (requiring a document as subject), is that
> inconsistent?

It's not inconsistent with any ratified specs, but...

>  Do I need to create separate URIs for the graph and the document?

I recommend you do, based on experience with policy management
applications and cwm. cwm used to equate a document with
a graph that it got from a document, but that turned out to be
a pretty limiting constraint, so we introduced the log:semantics
relationship between them.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E