Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Noah,

I don't claim to e an XML 1.1 expert.

I was looking at Sec 2.2 of xml-names11:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/

> 2.2 Use of IRIs as Namespace Names
> The empty string, though it is a legal IRI reference, cannot be used
> as a namespace name.
>
> The use of relative IRI references, including same-document
> references, in namespace declarations is deprecated.
>
> Note:
>
> This deprecation of relative URI references was decided on by a W3C
> XML Plenary Ballot [Relative URI deprecation]. It also declares that
> "later specifications such as DOM, XPath, etc. will define no
> interpretation for them".

I should have used "empty string" rather than null.

There seems to be a conflict between the two documents.

The reference to relative IRI XML schema re 3.3.18 of xmlschema11-2 is
in a [Definition:]

I discounted that as perhaps being non-normative given the draft
status and the other document.

Relative and "empty string"  IRI are certainly valid IRI, the question
is if they are valid "anyURI" in XML 1.1?

It is worth someone having a look at, but probably someone closer to
it than me.

However I don't think it is particularly relevant to XRI though I
suppose  that relative XRI would also be prohibited according to xml-
names1.1.   I don't think I am going to lose sleep over that:)

The XRI specs don't rely on any new functionality in XML 1.1.

Regards
John Bradley
OASIS IDTRUST-SC
http://xri.net/=jbradley