RE: Question about the On Linking Alternative Representations TAG Finding

> From: T.V Raman [mailto:raman@google.com]
>
> I think splitting hairs between resource
> and representation only works "so far".

The distinction between "representation" and "resource" is not splitting hairs, it is fundamental: they are different *roles* in the architecture.  Since anything can be a resource, a particular representation (returned in respnose to a particular request at a particular time) *could* also be considered a resource, but that just means that that particular representation can play both roles.  It does not mean that the distinction between the representation and resource is unimportant.

A representation is what you get *from* a resource -- in particular an information resource -- when you ask for one (such as by HTTP GET).

I think it's important be careful in the use of these terms, because using them incorrectly tends to cause muddled discussion and confusion.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Statements made herein represent the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of HP unless explicitly so stated.