Re: Boeing XRI Use Cases

Hi Noah,

Dave Orchard and I went over this a bit last week off line.

I believe that you are correct that "anyURI"  are valid for name-
spacing and that an an XRI in what we call IRI-Normal form is
compatible with the definition of an "anyURI"

Dave Orchard still needs some convincing on our use of some of the
characters in the authority segment, but we are now much closer in our
understanding than a couple of weeks ago.

I think the point I was making holds true in that not all possible
IRI's meet the definition of an "anyURI".

I believe there some issues around http: IRI where you would need some
additional rule about PUNICODE in the Authority segment.   There may
be issues with other schemes as well.

The XRI-TC did attempt to address this in the design of the proposed
xri: scheme.

For the moment the position of the XRI-TC remains that Section 2.3.1
of XRI 2.0 Syntax
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/15376
covers the transformation of an XRI into a valid IRI form.for a
registry based Authority(Sec 3.2.1 of RFC2396).

That  XLink Version 1.0 sec 5.4 defines the rule for converting the
remaining UTF-8 characters in the IRI to %HH form.
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/PR-xlink-20001220/#link-locators

This produces a URI that is compliant with Sec 3.2.1 of RFC2396,  and
thus meeting the definition of an "anyURI"

I think we got the transforms correct,  and I thank you for perhaps
putting that position forward in the past.

There was perhaps a misunderstanding at some point where some people
thought that the XRI-TC believed that all IRI were "anyURI".

We only contend that a XRI in IRI-Normal form is a valid "anyURI".

There are lots of other political and "Information Space
Fragmentation"  considerations why people would prefer XRI not to have
a URI scheme.
However I and the XRI-TC remain unconvinced that there is some
technical rule or ABNF that we violated.

If there is please let us know.

XRI 2.0 stands as an OASIS committee standard.   If there is a
technical mistake we will issue an errata to that spec immediately.

Given the process at OASIS any of the major changes we are talking
about will take almost a year to go through all the stages.

I will say that even if XRI become a registered scheme and accepted as
valid "anyURI"  I don't know that I would ever encourage people to use
them in xml name-spacing. (personal opinion)

I could however see being a valid "anyURI" as useful in X.509
certificates, infocard and other places where the definition of
"anyURI" is referenced.

Without that a lot of software that relies on comparing strings is
going to have to be modified to recognize
the equivalence of HXRI forms.   most things at the moment will not
recognize that https://xri.net/=jbradley and http://xri.boeing.com/=jbradley
  are equivalent from a XRI syntax point of view.

I think there is still discussion to be had around the value of a
registered scheme and what are the appropriate uses of the URI form vs
a http: sub-scheme HXRI form.

So below I apologize for using URI as opposed to "anyURI" which was
what I was trying to get at.

Thanks for the feedback.
I enjoy digging into this stuff:)

John Bradley