Re: Question about the On Linking Alternative Representations TAG Finding

On 1 Aug 2008, at 12:54, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Let me create another example.
>
> 1. /resource
> 2. /resource.html (sent as text/html)
> 3. /resource.html (sent as text/plain) to view the source code
> 4. /resource.txt  (sent as text/plain) contain the text version (not
> the source code)

And you want that 2-4 are accessible by content negotiation from 1? I
think this stretches things a bit.

An HTML version of a resource, and the source code of said HTML, are
quite different things and should be exposed to the world as separate
resources. The tool of choice for getting from one to the other is
hyperlinking, not content negotiation.

The purpose of content negotiation is specifically to allow clients
with different capabilities (that is, support for different formats)
to transparently share a single identifier space. It is *not* about
connecting different but related resources.

(But let me add that it is a modelling question, and there are no
“right” and “wrong” models, only more or less useful ones.)

Richard