Re: Uniform access to descriptions

From: Michaeljohn Clement <mj@mjclement.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:09:13 -0600
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: wangxiao@musc.edu, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2008, at 6:17 PM, Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
>> But you are wrong, there is no such thing as a byte-copy of an
>> information resource (in the AWWW sense).  Obviously a clear
>> definition of what an IR is has been hard to come by, but it is
>> not something of which one can take a byte-copy.  Any such thing
>> would be an awww:representation.
>
> Like anything at all, a awww:representation is a resource. One might
> argue, to make what you say true, that an awww:representation is not an
> IR, but I think that this would be difficult to support with the current
> definitions.

Thank you, you are correct.

Let me try again:

 But you are wrong, there is not necessarily any such thing as a byte-
 copy of a given information resource (in the AWWW sense).  Obviously
 a clear definition of what an IR is has been hard to come by, but it
 is not necessarily something of which one can take a byte-copy.

Would you agree with the above?

Michaeljohn